JAR - Just Another Railway!

May 2017

This month I didn't get much time with the railway however I did managed to expand the layout (with the additional track purchased), build the lych gate and start some electrics.

The track construction

Three loops becomes three loops with station sidings and even some scenery!

Station platforms, some people and cargo.
The telegraph poles are also present in the background... but I doubt they're in the final positions!

The Lych Gate

St Michael's Church from 4Ground was part of my birthday gift... I have spent the month building up the courage to attempt the build and so far have managed to build the Lych gate. I found the build tricky as it was really fragile. Using the correct glue however solved all my woes (A glue stick for paper and card was just not the same as PVA - you have been warned!) and the gate was then rapidly finished. The PVA created a much stronger bond than the glue I was using so the gate is much stronger.

Taking the opportunity to also practice with the electrics, I soldered some resistors together and fed some wires through the base, glued them to the inner frame and wedged a yellow LED into the roof. This gives the impression of a sodium street lamp (common to the UK).

Also, the first of the point motors was wired up to the DCC accessory decoder and I attempted to fit it to a set of points using the point motor surface housing. As the layout is on the floor, I don't want to fix anything down so the motor didn't really work. I'll need to try again once the baseboards are in place as I will then be free to pin down the track and drill holes :)

I'll get some better shots of the lych gate soon; you can just see it behind the Intercity carriages. I know, you don't normally have a lych gate on a station platform but I needed to raise it off the floor as the wires come out from the base.

Electrics

The control boxes have arrived (just empty ABS boxes) but these are planned to house the switches for manual control. One box will create a central box for scenery lighting and the second will allow for physical switches for the isolating sections of the layout (mainly the sidings). Connection of the input and through-out of power is via DC sockets and the individual circuits will be amassed into D-Sub connections.

So far, I have been able to create the holes for the two D-Subs and think about how to affix the rest!

Two sections of track have been successfully (but untested) soldered with feeder wires direct on to the underside of the rails. Again, once the baseboards are in place, I'll try them out as the wires need to feed upwards to the track undersides.

Baseboards

I thought I'd get baseboards this month but having costed the wood I was all set to go out and buy it when the car insurance renewal reminder came through... guess where my money was spent!